as it is now known, also
has an interesting history. Built in 1893, it stands in the garden of
20 Vyvyan Terrace and it is rumoured that it was once a Swedish diplomatic
building that contained a gymnasium. This is probably why on either
side of the main entrance the words “Swedish Gymnasium”
the early 1920's it was acquired by the
prima ballerina, Miss Phyllis Bedells, and
when she founded her ballet school in Bristol, it became known as “The
West of England Academy”. A plaque bearing
this name is on one of the doors of the studio to commemorate this.
Miss Bedells, together with a small group of eminent dance professionals,
went on to organise the emergence of the “Association
of Operatic Dancing” in Great Britain.
1935 this became
“The Royal Academy of Dancing”, now known as “The
Royal Academy of Dance”, and is acknowledged
and respected worldwide.
Bristol School still carries on the strong tradition of classical
ballet with teachers who are all fully qualified and registered
with both The Royal Academy of Dance
and The Imperial Society of Teachers
of Dancing. The School has,
over more recent times, also added jazz,
and musical theatre studies to its
wide ranging curriculum.
Bristol School has the privileged position of regularly supplying children
for productions at the
Bristol Hippodrome theatre
and has provided the “babes” in pantomime at this theatre for well over
half a century.
standard of training at the school is renowned to the extent that many
students are gladly considered for places at major academies such as
London Studio Centre”, “The
Arts Educational School” and “The
Royal Ballet School”.